Re: Wish for including HTML validator into Debian

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 09:32:23PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
>
> >  This package is a collection of SGML/XML tools called SP.
> >  .
> >  These tools are used to parse, validate, and normalize SGML and XML
> >  files.  The central programs included in this package are 'nsgmls',
> >  which replaces sgmls, 'spam', 'spent', 'sgmlnorm', and 'sgml2xml'.
> I didn't mentioned to validate any HTML file of mine using plain sp.
> Did I oversee something?

Yes, mainly that HTML is just a SGML DTD. SP can validate any documents for
any SGML DTD.

However, plain SP is very strict and anal about everything (try to validate
www.netscape.org and www.microsoft.org, even with the HTML 4.0 transit DTD).
It's not what a normal end user would like to use (although they should!).

> May be the right thing is to package the HTML validator I mentioned
> and make it dependend from sp and all will work well??

That may be thre right approach.

Marcus