Re: Perl modules and perl upgrade

Le Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 04:30:13PM -0700, John Lapeyre écrivait:
> 	Can we get a mailing list to coordinate this ? I'd like to know what

I don't think that we need a mailing-list for a job that should
not take too long. :) -devel is here for coordination.

> the policy will be for the new perl modules. Will we follow the default
> installation that perl 5.005  provides (at least for those mods under
> /usr/lib/perl5 ) ?  It might be nice to have an archive with all of the
> discussion in it.  Picking threads out of devel from the past few months is
> not a savory proposition !

I'll try a summary but I may be wrong on some points :
- all CPAN perl modules will use the versionned directories and they'll
  depend on perl5.005 (and NOT perl). That way, when perl5.006 comes out
  they won't break.
- perl programs/scripts should still depend on perl (perl should be
  provided by perl5.005 even if perl may be a dummy package that would depend
  on the latest perl => if a package depend on a specific perl they'll need
  to change the dependency to perl5.005 or we may encounter problems
  with versionned provides !)
- there is currently no policy for the possible perl-thread, but that can
  be easily added when perl-thread will be packaged

BTW, people who will have to upgrade perl modules could check for .packlist
files in their packages. They are not needed. Simply add this at the good
place in the rules file :
find debian/tmp -type f -name .packlist | xargs -r rm
find debian/tmp/usr/lib -type d -empty | xargs -r rmdir -p

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/