Re: RFC: Inclusion of "An Anarchist FAQ"

Ed Boraas <ed@tao.ca> writes:

> One thing that I think would be very useful, however, would be some
> sort of "Free Literature/Documentation Add-On CD" for debian --
> somewhere where we could package up the oodles of free texts out
> there without bloating the distro further. If things like the
> Gutenberg texts are free enough, I'm sure we'd have no problem
> finding 650 megs of texts.

I'd like to see as much as possible packaged for Debian, but we either
need a better way of sorting our stuff, or a more distributed
repository.  With apt, this is pretty easy, so we could have a site
that had a bunch of Debianized texts, and you could just point apt
there if you wanted them.  Alternately, if we ever get package
"keywords" then we could support much finer grained distinctions.
Sooner or later, I think we're going to have to abandon the
"package organizational strategy mirrors what you can do with a
filesystem tree" approach.  I liked the "package-pool with
database-ish keywords" suggestion, but I don't know if it's going
anywhere.

I had also wondered how feasible (being a database novice) it would be
to just use something like postgresql (LDAP, something lighter?) as
dpkg's database.  Would that be potentially faster? more flexible?
less safe?  Anyway, not something I know enough to evaluate...