Re: more aesthetic /etc/issue

I have a problem with this. People have attempted to crack my system several
times. I feel that a major inhibitor of this is that people who connect to my
machine get greeted with a message telling them that I run Microsoft VMS2000.
When my /etc/issue(.net) proudly proclaimed that I ran Linux, people would
always try the latest DoS and whatnot upon me. I believe there was a phrack
article on this issue...system security should always be a priority for
Debian, and the first thing someone sees when they telnet to your machine can
be a security asset or a nightmare.

Andrew
On Sat, Mar 20, 1999 at 10:07:53PM -0500, acf@openprojects.net wrote:
> sorry if this has been brought up before, but i'm trying linux-mandrake out,
> and the linux_logo stuff for /etc/issue is really nice :) why not put it in
> potato?
>
> --
> # Justin Maurer                                GNOME Hacker #
> # justin@openprojects.net                   Slashdot Author #
> # http://slashdot.org/           Debian GNU/Linux Developer #
> #     09 84 FC 03 13 AA 4A AF  F6 A4 85 9D 8C 96 B6 A4      #

Andrew G. Feinberg agf@debian.org andrew@ultraviolet.org
Pager: 1-888-950-5050 PIN 6093780
PGP Fingerprint 78 55 2B B4 A7 B2 96 FF  84 BA 4A 3F 23 82 DD 80