Re: de-symlinking the archive

Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com> writes:
>> There was no technical reason for removing all the symlinks, but
>> that's not really the point.
>
>Yes, there is.  There are a lot of things that can go wrong with
>a distribution.  The idea of a "freeze" is to work them all out.
>When it comes time to release we should just have change the
>stable symlink, and that's all.  This, we DID talk about previously.

The symlinks should have been replaced some time ago, so by this time
you are certainly justified in taking matters into your own hands.

It would have been nice, though, to see an announcement on mirror-list
beforehand.  I'm thing of something like "symlinks from slink into
hamm are about to be replaced by real files, so please prepare for
mirror growth approximately like this: main/binary-i386 +238 MB,
main/binary-all +194 MB..."  or whatever the real numbers are.  I
still don't think I have ever seen an announcement on that mailing
list.  Or maybe my subscription has been dropped again.

Regardless, thank you very much for your contribution to slink.  I
hope you continue to participate in Debian, even if you choose not to
volunteer as release coordinator.

				- Jim Van Zandt