Re: PROPOSAL: "Staging Areas"

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 02:20:31PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > How is your proposal different from the holding area that Anthony Towns
> > and I came up with about a month ago?
> AFAICR, the major difference is the idea of separate holding areas for
> separate projects.

And that there doesn't seem to be anywhere for single-package staging to
be done. (ie, if I feel that some of my netbase uploads are likely to be
buggy and don't want to wreck it for the people who're running critical
things on unstable, I'd need to make a request to Guy wait a few days,
then upload to a special area)

Additionally, this doesn't do any sort of "all packages will be in a staging
area for a week just in case they have unexpected severe bugs, and if they
don't they'll be moved automatically".

There's no reason why these couldn't be added, and, personally, if they
were, I think doing something like this would have all the benefits of the
whole prerelease thing, without the package-pool thing. Personally.

Cheers,
aj