Re: PROPOSAL: "Staging Areas"

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:

> Hi.
>
> This is a good idea, but I have yet another idea:
>
> dists/stable
> dists/unstable
> dists/experimental
>
> i.e. move experimental above unstable and use it as the "staging area".
>
> Since apt is now widely used (and even if it were not), I don't think
> experimental needs the "symlink farm" unstable has. Everything would work
> smoothly if dinstall is modified so that any upload is allowed to
> experimental as long as the same package does already exist in unstable
> (this way, this would not require manual intervention from the ftp
> maintainers when a new package is uploaded to experimental).

There is, however, a technical advantage to having distinct staging areas
for specific projects, such as getting all of the gtk-* in sync.

OTOH, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to moves to make
project/experimental more straight-forwardly apt'able.

Apt gurus: How would apt feel about 'distributions' which had more than
one path component?  E.g distributions being
{stable,frozen,unstable,dev/gnome,dev/experimental}.  This allows to
emphasise to our users that, whilst they're free to use the dists in
'dev/', they are very much under development.

Jules