Re: libpam, cracklib, and slink (was Re: Release-critical...)

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 06:39:12 -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 09:46:21AM +0100, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:
> > I'm now preparing an upload that'll mark PAM as orphaned.
>
> Ack! We need pam to be maintained if we want to enable it's use in potato.

I agree; my time resources are fairly limited and do not allow for the kind
of commitment PAM maintenance would mean. (E.g., the modifications I made to
link the .so files against the libraries they depend on should really be
incorporated upstream, but I've not found time to forward&lobby)

> I'll take it, if no one intends on doing so themselves.

Great.

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 10:34:45 -0500, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> Another Ack!  I'd like to see cracklib support enabled in PAM.  Can we
> coordinate uploads here?  I plan on a new upload of cracklib this weekend
> which will close all existing bug reports.

Perhaps the best way for cracklib support in PAM is to redefine PAM's
packages into "base" and "non-base" ones. The "base" ones should be intended
for future (potato) inclusion in the base system (for use by e.g. login);
the "non-base" ones could require more libraries and auxiliary programs.
Such a change in packaging could also be used as an opportunity to merge
libpam0g and libpam0g-util (which have a mutual dependency).

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 10:31:57 -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> Since no one else has spoken up, I will take over pam. I will also look
> into cracklib support being put back in,

You're misunderstanding things here: PAM so far has not supported cracklib.
At one point, I was considering adding the support, and modified the build
system to add -lcracklib for the pamutil .so's, but I never got around to
really enabling the cracklib build.

Greetings,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,