Re: netstd split -- pseudo package for upgrades from hamm

On 19 Jan 1999, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     Santiago> I think it is absolutely essential for the success of
>     Santiago> Debian 2.1 that nobody will automagically lose
>     Santiago> functionality in the upgrade process.
>
>     Brandon> Done in experimental changes file: * xbase is now a
>     Brandon> pseudo-package used to smooth upgrades from hamm or
>     Brandon> earlier systems * what was the new xbase is now
>     Brandon> xfree86-common
>
> Branden has done a great job with the xbase upgrade pseudo-package.

No doubt, but until I see pseudopackages for the font packages, this great
job is still unfinished.

> Now if we could only convince the netstd maintainer to make a
> pseudo-package for all his splits.. but he has told me he refuses to
> support upgrades for anything but dselect. :/

I would consider an acceptable compromise that netstd had at least a
Recommends for *all* the packages that were previously included in it
that have been downgraded to Priority: optional (i.e. the ones that
dselect will not select automatically).

Is this the case?

[ If case it would not, people upgrading netstd would lose functionality
on the upgrade, and we would fail to our promise of smooth upgrades ].

--
 "4c6ce55911369b1900e8aef9afdb467c" (a truly random sig)