Re: Intent to package: daemontools (and cdb)

On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 07:06:21PM +0000, Edward Betts wrote:
> > > According to the README in the CDB archive, the CDB C source is public
> > > domain, so if you strip out the docs, etc. you could put it in main.
> > 	Yes. But as that doesn't cover even the manpages,
> > 	or pedantically even the Makefile, I don't think
> > 	that's useful.
> Well if it is only source code that is ok, the DFSG does not cover documentry
> only source code, I don't know if that includes Makefiles, I guess it does. So
> all you need to rewrite are the Makefiles, and then it could go into main.

	I know. I consider it a longer term project, volunteers
	accepted;) There is a small problem - the author's code is
	rather idiosyncratic (good, clean, but almost uglier than
	K&R C), and for copyright reasons you can't just copy (or
	even look for help) in his documents/Makefiles. That makes
	creating new ones from scratch a bit hard.

> > 	It's more of a "if you want to use this in your
> > 	own programs, go right ahead".
> Could you contact the author and ask them to change the licence?

	Already did. He won't, as of now. The interface is still
	in development, and he doesn't want to end up supporting
	the old interface.

	When he finishes the interface, I think he will allow more
	freedom for the software.
--
foo | +358505486010 | tv-nospam-sig-1@hq.yok.utu.fi | mknod /dev/trash c 1 3