Re: New DFSG Draft revision #3

I'm not sure I'd agree that the version of DFSG aj and I are working would
allow the "powered by" clause -- atleast not as a binding restriction.  In our
proposal, the section you quote says nothing about the notices in finished work
the way Ian's proposal did. I wouldn't call a produced web page either source o
r documentation and it's certainly not the software being executed.

Personally, I think it would be a far reach to even call any/all web pages
"advertising material".  And if it could, under the current wording, I'd change
it to be "material offering the software package" or some such thing... Unless
Debian *wants* that sort of attribution clause to be DFSG-free....

> This leads me to the following question: The current DFSG doesn't
> explicitely rule out postcard-ware nor things like the ZPL attribution
> requirement [2]. The new proposals all disallow postcard-ware

hence the desire to release a second version of the DFSG...

> requirements, but specifically allow notice requirements. This leads

but in a very restricted sense...

> me to the conclusion that notice requirements are accepted by the
> common interpretation of the current DFSG (contrary to
> postcard-ware-like requirements). Is that correct ?

I supposed it could be argued, in letter.. but they seem unacceptable in the
spirt of the DFSG.

* http://benham.net/index.html                                     <><  *