Re: New DFSG Draft revision #3

I came across this section in the recent proposal:

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 11:40:36AM -0800, Darren Benham wrote:
> 3.2. Notices of Authorship
> ---------------------------
>
>      The license may require the copyright, license, and any associated
>      disclaimers be prominently displayed in the original software or any
>      derived software. The license may require such notices to be
>      displayed:
>
>         * during execution of the software
>
>         * in the source code
>
>         * in the documentation
>
>         * in advertising materials (deprecated)
>
>      <Not part of the old DFSG>

After further review, I saw that all three recent DFSG2 proposals
(i.e. Ian Jackson's r1.4, Anthony Town's first proposal and Darren
Benham's derived work) explicitely allow requirements for placing
notices [1].

Nobody ever objected to this specific clause, still it was not part of
the old DFSG, and in fact, on investigating the proposed Zope license,
several developers told me that an attribution clause in the ZPL is an
unacceptable restriction on the *use* of the software, comparable to
postcard-ware.

This leads me to the following question: The current DFSG doesn't
explicitely rule out postcard-ware nor things like the ZPL attribution
requirement [2]. The new proposals all disallow postcard-ware
requirements, but specifically allow notice requirements. This leads
me to the conclusion that notice requirements are accepted by the
common interpretation of the current DFSG (contrary to
postcard-ware-like requirements). Is that correct ?

Another question is how these terms of the proposals do apply to works
like Zope:

Zope is a web application platform, roughly comparable to PHP3. The
attribution clause says that every web site using Zope has to put a