Re: Release notes for slink

On Thu, 14 Jan, 1999, job bogan wrote:
> what about the ugly, brutal, yet effective dummy package strategy?
>
> create empty packages that require, rather than just suggest or
> recommend the new sub-packages.  eg:
> netstd requires telnet, talk, rexec, etc...
>
> Then, once we get Was-Part-Of, we can remove the dummy packages.  And,
> since they are just dummy packages, they 1) don't need compiling and 2)
> can be arch-indep. The main downside is that we end up initially over
> installing.  no more than what was on the machine before.  And i guess
> it might be confusing.  (Then again, it's just as easy to explain as the
> current situation once we get their eyeballs looking at the release
> notes. =)

Debian is not an `easy to use' OS, people really are expected to be able to
read the release notes, and read them before upgrading. The only excuse I can
think of is if they can not read any of the languages the notes have been
translated into.

Would another autoup.sh help? Have a script that explains the changes and
suggests what they should do?

`Do you want to keep xmh? I would not it is use less [y/N]'

How about upgrading bo-slink or rex-slink, can it be done? Do we still need
the old autoup.sh?
--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
						-- The GNU Manifesto