Re: How to move a conffile to a new location?

In foo.debian-devel, Wichert wrote:
> Previously Eloy A. Paris wrote:
> > My question is: how should I handle this situation? Obviously, I want
> > that the install scripts handle the situation in a way that the
> > /etc/conffile gets moved to /etc/package/conffile.
> >=20
> > Anyone one has faced this situation before?
>
> Multiple times actually :). What you have to do is *carefully* move the
> conffile in the preinst.

Should it be moved back to its original location in the postrm?

Advantages: You can downgrade and still have a working packages.
Disadvantages: You can never really get away from the old location...
               it must always be stored there when the package is
	       removed.

Prolly the best way is to have the package be able to handle both locations
on the install, and move back to the old location on postrm.
You can phase out the old location after a reasonable time... like after
a Potato is released with a version that can handle to new location.

Is this too much complexity just for one silly conffile?

-Mitch