Re: How to make a new Python package - help wanted please

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 10:17:52PM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> I would like to package the Python interface to PostgreSQL (since it is
> included in the PostgreSQL source and there is at least one person who
> wants it).
>
> Can anyone point me to a package which would be a good model to use?
> (I have read /usr/doc/python/README.Debian, but I could do with a bit
> more help.  The Makefile.pre.in on my system does not contain the
> boot-deb target mentioned in README.Debian.)

Please check if you have installed the 1.5.1-7 revision of the python
packages; the boot-deb target didn't work, therefore it was removed in
python 1.5.1-5; I'm pretty sure that I changed the docs accordingly.

> It looks as if I have to modify the Python Setup file, which is presumably
> a conf file belonging to python-dev.  Is there some mechanism for doing
> this in a way that conforms to policy?

The PyGreSQL upstream instructions seem to imply that you want to
build a new python binary with PyGreSQL statically embedded. With
proper Python installations, it's much better to build PyGreSQL as a
shared module for the existing python interpreter.

/usr/lib/python1.5/config/Setup is not really a python conffile, since
it doesn't configure the existing system. It's mostly a reference how
the installed python and libpython1.5.a were build (which modules were
included etc.).

Python shared modules provide their own Setup file, and use
/usr/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile.pre.in's boot target to bootstrap a
new Makefile.

	Gregor

PS: Oliver, I'll send you a Debian diff file for PyGreSQL 2.2 as
reference with private mail.