Re: Packaging perl stuff

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:35:13 -0500 (EST), "Scott K. Ellis" <storm@stormcrow.org> said:

> Actually, check out report 15797 for a more in-depth treatment of the
> problem.  The solution is not as trivial as it looks at first.

Thanks.  I've read this bug report.

It's true that with the Config.pm and MakeMaker as written we can't
support all variants, and it'd be good to fix this so that we can.  For
the present, though, if we can only support one, I think it should be
the one which is most useful for the users.  A simple

    perl Makefile.PL
    make test
    make install

should do the right thing in the most common circumstance.

So, I think that the Config.pm as shipped should have the man entries
set to the /usr/local directories.  This probably wouldn't even break
any debian/rules files because they've got to override the man dirs to
install in debian/tmp anyway (PREFIX doesn't set them due to another
MakeMaker bug).

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@argon.org