Re: dependencies unmet for dbf2pg and postgresql?

Eduardo Marcel Macan wrote:
  >I am using a slink machine and I noticed this:
  >	 Package: libpgsql2
  > 	Version: 6.4.2-1

This is only be in potato; you have inadvertently uploaded this from unstable.
libpgsql-6.3.2-16 is in slink (as well as in potato), and this will satisfy
the dependencies.

libpgsql and libpgsql2 should be able to co-exist, though this is not a
desirable situation -- any package depending on libpgsql ought to be
rebuilt (for potato, of course) and depend on libpgsql2.

  > 	Section: libs
  > 	Architecture: i386
  > 	Depends: libc6, libc6 (>= 2.0.7u)
  > 	Suggests: postgresql-doc,postgresql
  > 	Conflicts: libpq1,postgres95,postgresql (<< 6.4),libpgsql (<<6.3.2-16)
  >
  >and this:
  >	 Package: dbf2pg
  >	 Version: 2.0-6
  >	 Section: contrib/misc
  >	 Architecture: i386
  >	 Depends: libc6 (>= 2.0.7u), libpgsql (>= 6.3.1-1)
  >	 Conflicts: libpgsql (>= 6.4)
  >
  >Both from slink, as you can see,

not so

  >                                  dbf2pg 2.06, a dbf to postgres converter
  >provided by slink conflicts with the libpgsql provided in the
  >same distribution. I understand that postgresql 6.3 and 6.4 are not
  >compatible with each other,

libpgsql provides the library for front-end programs to link with
PostgreSQL; libpq.so.1 can talk to PostgreSQL-6.4, but libpq.so.2
cannot talk to PostgreSQL-6.3.  The database structures of 6.3 and
6.4 are not compatible.

If people needed to talk to both 6.3 and 6.4 they would have to use
libpgsql rather than libpgsql2; but they should preferably upgrade the
6.3 database.
     "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed
      lest he fall."            I Corinthians 10:12