Re: What the hell is happening to Debian ? (and FLOSS in general)

Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Julien BLACHE wrote:
>
>> Now, on to the dpkg NMU non-story. What the f*ck ? dpkg is just
>> another package, even if it's our package manager. If it has RC bugs
>> that aren't being fixed by the maintainers, then it can be NMUed just
>> like another package. And should it break, it'd be fixed in another
>> upload. No reason to be pissed about that, really; moreover, the NMU
>> was uploaded by a well-known DD.
>
> Sometimes, when dpkg breaks, users can't install new packages.  It needs more
> care and thought.
>
>> People, please, wake up. I more and more get the feeling that people
>> are starting to work one against the other, and that's not how things
>> should work in Debian. May I remind you our Constitution, the one we
>> all abide by:
>
> Well, it wasn't *I* who didn't follow the rules here.  I am *trying* to work
> with people.  I hate people who don't.

If I correctly understood Julian Blache, his message was not about
who's guilty in these stories he mentioned.

Things are rarely (never?) white or black and in the thread related to
NMU, you had valid points but the persons that did the NMU
either. They did not followed your method, ok. But it does not look
like that they did bad work. So maybe now it is time to calm down and
to start to trust each other to do the right thing.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |