Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:23:39AM +1030, Dan Shearer wrote:
> Since my Deb Miniconf3 topic was chosen by poll (Jonathan Oxer :-) I
> thought I might as well get some input on the content too.
>
> So what, in your opinion, are the technologies (or significant packages)
> which should be in Debian but are not? And why do you think they are
> not?

Subversion. It's currently deliberately held out of sarge[1] by an RC
report[2], Branden Robinson requests violation of policy (adding
debugging symbols) for it is alpha quality. However, this is no longer
true[3], and next month 1.0 will be released[4]. They have a very
precise schedule, and tend to stick to it.

Since subversion's popularity is rising very quickly, it would be a pity
if our next stable Debian release would not contain this invaluable
development tool, of which I believe will be replacing CVS very fast
(its principle of coherent changes in one coherent commit is vastly
superior to CVS, not to name its clear and easier to understand
tagging&branching metaphor).

--Jeroen

[1] I know, there are 2 more RC issues currently, however they are
    transient/nonRC (slightly too unspecific build-depends and hardly
	reproducable bug with someone mixing woody & sid)
[3] http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/NewsItemView?newsItemID=543
[4] http://subversion.tigris.org/project_status.html

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar