Re: Build-Depends-Indep: debhelper, utilizing it in debian/rules clean

Roland Stigge wrote:
> consider #216747, where a package declares "Build-Depends-Indep:
> debhelper" and uses e.g. dh_clean in the debian/rules clean target.
> Build-Depends-Indep is defined to be satisfied in the build,
> build-indep, binary and binary-indep targets, but not in clean.
>
> For the main distribution, "grep Build-Depends-Indep .../Sources|grep
> debhelper|wc -l" results in 1871 packages. I didn't check all of them
> but I doubt that many of them also declare "Build-Depends: debhelper" or
> don't use dh_clean in the clean target. So >>1000 source packages seem
> to behave like the package in #216747.
>
> What should we do about it? Write a script to automatically check for
> debhelper-in-Build-Depends-Indep-but-not-in-Build-Depends-and-using-dh_*-in-debian/rules_clean, generating a patch (which wouldn't really be needed because of the current definition of the BTS "patch" tag) and file a bug? Is the bug severity serious? Sarge-ignore? (Sorry, http://people.debian.org/~ajt/sarge_rc_policy.txt is currently Error 404.)

It would be nice if lintian and linda could be updated to not warn about
packages doing the right thing here, and to warn about packages doing
the wrong thing.

joey@dragon:~/lib/debian/unstable>linda alien_8.41_i386.changes
W: alien; Package has Build-Depends, but builds no arch-dependant packages.

joey@dragon:~/lib/debian/unstable>lintian alien_8.41_i386.changes
W: alien source: newer-standards-version 3.6.1.0
W: alien source: build-depends-without-arch-dep

--
see shy jo