Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 07:03:22PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Why can't Debian have just one tree for multiple architectures like
> SuSE and RedHat (sometimes) do.  Okay suse supports 'only' i386,
> x86_64,ppc,ppc64,s390,s390x,ia64 but their kernel also has patches
> for sparc,sparc64,mips and m68k although I can't guarantee that these
> really work in the relased tree (but last time I visted their office
> people were playing with those ports in their spare time).

Because it simply did not work out - not all architectures are in sync with
Linus' tree and if I understood "our" port maintainer correctly, there are
some architecture-specific things Linus does not accept for his tree or that
are incompatible between other architectures.

I doubt that a standard Suse kernel tree produces a working kernel on mips,
mipsel or m68k; can't say for the other architectures, though.
Linus' tree also has patches for these architectures, but you cannot build
an actually working kernel for these architectures from Linus' tree.

> Sure, it's more work but I think it's worth it.

People try to get their architecture's tree merged with Linus' tree
already for a long time...

Regards,
Karsten
--