Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 08:44:48AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Guido Guenther <agx@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > This only works if we have a _clean_ kernel-source-2.X.Y package. One of
> > the reasons why maintaining kernel-patch-2.X.Y-<arch> packages is such a
> > pain is the asymmetry between i386 and other arches - almost every time
> > a new kernel-source package is uploaded the kernel-patch-2.X.Y-mips
> > package has to be rediffed. So the first and maybe most important step
>
> I can understand your pain.  However, most of the changes made to the
> kernel-source are not i386-specific.  In fact, if they were, they would
> not be causing these patch conflicts that you're seeing.
>
> So essentially throwing them out means that your architecture will miss
> out on all bug fixes.  If this turns out to be what most of you want, then
> that's fine and I will do just that.
It's very hard to get these bug fixes anyway since when I do a
_complete_ diff between kernel-source-2.X.Y in the archive and the
kernel source for architecture foo I'll _always_ (accidentally)
pull out all the bug fixes you made. Only diffing specific parts of the
tree is unfortunately out of question (at least for mips(el)) since the
diff is just too big to make this feasible. So having a separate i386
kernel-patch package would make things even easier since I can then
first diff against a clean Linus tree (giving a minimal diff) and then
look into your kernel-patch-*-i386 and apply all the fixes.
What worries me a bit is that the majority of our users would have to
pull an additional kernel-patch-*-i386 to build custom kernels but I'm
not sure how many of the folks who build custom i386 kernels get the
source packages from our archives, many of them get the source from
kernel.org directly anyway, I'd guess.
Regards,
 -- Guido