Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

Denis Barbier wrote:
> > |  The most popular server in the world, Apache features a modular
> > |  design and supports dynamic selection of extension modules at runtime.
> > |  Some of its strong points are its range of possible customization,
> > |  dynamic adjustment of the number of server processes, and a whole
> > |  range of available modules including many authentication mechanisms,
> > |  server-parsed HTML, server-side includes, access control, CERN httpd
> > |  metafiles emulation, proxy caching, etc.  Apache also supports multiple
> > |  virtual homing.
> > |  .
> > |  Separate Debian packages are available for PHP, mod_perl, Java
> > |  Servlet support, Apache-SSL, and other common extensions.  More
> > |  information is available at http://www.apache.org/.
>
> [Fake French translation in ASCII]
>
> > | Description-fr: Serveur HTTP polyvalent haute performance
> > |  Serveur le plus populaire du monde, Apache est caracterise par sa conception
> > |  modulaire et autorise la selection dynamique des modules d'extension lors de
> > |  l'execution.
> > |  Quelques-uns de ses points forts sont l'etendue des personnalisations
> > |  possibles, l'ajustement dynamique du nombre de processus du serveur, un
> > |  eventail complet de modules disponibles, incluant :
> > |    - plusieurs mecanismes d'authentification ;
> > |    - des analyseurs de serveurs de HTML ;
> > |    - des inclusions cote serveur ;
> > |    - un controle d'acces ;
> > |    - une emulation de metafichiers httpd CERN ;
> > |    - un cache proxy, etc.
> > |  Apache supporte aussi les sites internes virtuels multiples.
> > |  .
> > |  Des paquets Debian separes sont disponibles pour le PHP, mod_perl, le
> > |  support Servlet Java, Apache-SSL et d'autres extensions habituelles. Plus
> > |  d'informations sont disponibles sur http://www.apache.org/.
>
> Apache maintainers do not like this translation because the French
> translator changed the layout they chose for their description.
> There is a comma separated list of items in English, and an itemized
> list in French.

Please keep in mind that a translation is a translation and not a
redesign or reformat.  When translating documents and strings, you
should always try to stay as close to the original as you can.  Changing
the text layout is a NO-GO in my opinion - and in the opinion of our
Apache people apparently.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.  -- Larry Wall