Re: security in testing

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 05:24:03PM +0300, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:

> "Pre-plans" in this case means that two people (one DD and one NM) have
> been talking about it "seriously." So, if you want to shoot the idea
> down, go ahead, no harm done :) And if someone else is thinking about
> picking up the ball, go ahead, the pre-planners are probably willing
> to join any other initiative as well.

  I certainly didn't intend to be part of any shoot-down, I was just
 wondering exactly what had been discussed, where it had been archived,
 and what exactly was involved in the proposal.

  If it's a matter of maintaining a proposed-updates-to-testing queue,
 and forcing uploads to that to go via a newly formed testing-security
 group then it doesn't seem like a lot of work to start picking
 volunteers.

  The actually patching, testing, building and uploading will be an
 ongoing task though.  From my observer-only position it seems like
 the security team is usually stretched pretty thin, due to lack
 of members; and they have a pretty thankless task which is a shame
 because they do a great job.

  (I'm immune to this discussion on the whole; my boxes run stable
 at work and unstable at home).

Steve
---
www.steve.org.uk