Re: should I orphan linux-wlan-ng?

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 01:18:56PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> This is an exception to the rule when more then one source package
> depends on a common source (as is the case for kernel-source).
>
> Ideally, kernel-source should be a source only package, and
> kernel-image would build-depend of the source, not the deb
> file.
>
> This would save a little bit of archive disk space in the process.
>
> However, considering it is only one package effected(?), I am not sure it
> is worth the effort.

Ideally we might someday have a facility for this, allowing different Debian
package maintainers (and even end users) to build packages for variants
based on the same source.

There are more instances where this would be useful than one might think at
first.  Off the top of my head:

The xfree86 tinyx server is usually built from the same sources as xfree86,
but since in Debian, tinyx is handled by a different maintainer than
xfree86, it is necessary to duplicate part of the source package, create a
non-pristine source tarball, etc.

toolchain-source, used for building cross-compilers

Minimal builds of common programs for embedded devices (handheld PCs)

--
 - mdz