Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

This one time, at band camp, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> wrote:
>[...]
>> With /run, we can finally have an /etc which is actually all static
>> configuration data.
>
>Hello,
>Afaict from reading the thread this isn't true. /run moves _some_
>non-configuration files out of the way, but it only works for files
>whose contents may be lost at reboot and does not deal with
>non-static configuration data.
>
>If you want /etc/ to be mounted ro you'll still need to do your
>homework. For example you'll need to use something like NIS for
>authentication because otherwise users could not change their own
>passwords (/etc/shadow) anymore.

You'd have to move *every* file in /etc/ somewhere else if you wanted to
change some programs behaviour.  Ergo, this argument is moot, because
already the admin has to remount their /etc rw to make the edits.

For the explicit case of users changing their own passwords, the admin will
already have come up with some method of keeping their /etc mounted ro, such
as NIS or LDAP or some other scheme.

Again, this lies outside the problem that we're addressing with /run, that
is programs who are storing *state* in /etc when they should not be.
Programs should not write to /etc, whereas people *are* allowed to write to
/etc.

--
jaq@debian.org                               http://people.debian.org/~jaq