Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> writes:

> On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 18:52, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
>
> > /etc/volatile
>
> "It is possible to define two independent categories of files: shareable
> vs. unshareable and variable vs. static. There should be a simple and
> easily understandable mapping from directories to the type of data they
> contain: directories may be mount points for other filesystems with
> different characteristics from the filesystem on which they are
> mounted." (FHS 2.2, Section 2, Paragraph 2)[0]
>
> /etc/volatile breaks that.
> /run doesn't.

How does a name change what is inside? Any argument about /run equally
works for /etc/volatile.

> With /run, we can finally have an /etc which is actually all static
> configuration data.
>
> Another suggestion, I think, was /dev/shm...

That is a special case of the shared memory filesystem and only used
for that. Its specific to the kernel you use. Mounting anything but an
shmfs there will break software.

> [0] Interestingly, Table 2.1 lists /etc as possibly static,
>     which is (currently) self-contradictory.

It works, with sideeffects.

MfG
        Goswin