Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:53:32AM -0000, Matt Ryan wrote:

> > For example my patched mount works just as before and uses
> > /etc/mtab. But if that is a link it will follow it and use the target
> > directory of the link for lock and temp files and modify the target of
> > the link and not the link itself.
> >
> > That way everyone who wants a RO / can create a RW /mem, move his mtab
> > there and link it. All done.
>
> Would the best plan be to leave our tools as standard as possible and put a
> new set of packages into the archive that have this functionality? All
> anyone who wants this mess on there system then has to do is install the
> other version of the tools.

Don't be unnecessarily harsh. Compatibility isn't broken. The only thing
that happens is a test for a symlink before behaving as usual.

The tools are completely standard if you have /etc/mtab as a regular
file. No mess is created on your system, not even one single inode will
be added because of this. What kind of mess are you afraid of, exactly?

Thanks,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl