Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

"Matt Ryan" <mryan@debian.org> writes:

> > There are other good reasons for wanting / ro, that have been discussed in
> > this rather huge thread.
>
> The point is that there have been very few good reasons to implement this,
> certainty not enough to justify the effort required to implement it and the
> change that admins would have to understand on their systems when we shift
> files around underneath them.

Nothing should be shifted. Just the possibility to shift it should be
made available.

For example my patched mount works just as before and uses
/etc/mtab. But if that is a link it will follow it and use the target
directory of the link for lock and temp files and modify the target of
the link and not the link itself.

That way everyone who wants a RO / can create a RW /mem, move his mtab
there and link it. All done.

MfG
        Goswin