Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> writes:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:22:31 +0100
> Emile van Bergen <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > So we have an "adequate" solution implemented and a better one that's
> > being discussed. That's how it always should be. I don't see any
> > problem? ;-)
>
> The problems of being able to mount /etc read-only and abiding by the
> FHS havent been solved.

Delete the state file or shut down all networlks. Then remount /etc RO
and start up the networks again. ifup/down then things the networks to
be down allways and properly brings them up on reboots etc. (At least
it did that last time I checked). Not the cleanest solution but it works.

> In this instance the problem has been redefined to be "where should the
> ifupdown state file go".

Only place it could go (same with /etc/mtab, /etc/mdtab, /etc/lvmtab)
would be a state-fs in the kernel thats similar to the devfs or ramfs.

Care to write a driver? Some have wanted to but haven't seen one yet.

MfG
        Goswin