Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 01:37:42AM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:45:49 +0100
> Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > /var is not necessarily mounted at that stage.  This has had flamewars
> > of its own, search the archives.
> >

> Debian is technically excellent but socially inept.
>
> We cant agree which is the best technical solution, so we dont implement
> any solution at all.

The whole chicken-and-egg problem of ifup/down requiring a writable
directory and /var requiring a functioning network is currently solved
"adequately" by using /etc; no network required, and in 95 % of the
cases early writable.

The proper solution would of course be to make network initialization
(at least for root- and/or var-on-NFS purposes) independent of a
writable filesystem. This has already been suggested, IIRC.

So we have an "adequate" solution implemented and a better one that's
being discussed. That's how it always should be. I don't see any
problem? ;-)

Cheers,

Emile.

--