Re: Categorization of packages (was Re: Aptitude, ARs)

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 11:26:40AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> >   Anyway, there are (according to apt-cache stats) exactly 12585 binary
> > packages TODAY.  I think that you're being too optimistic if you believe
> > a natural (ie, easy to navigate) categorization exists which is balanced
> > enough to squeeze this into 3 levels and 25 leaves in each lowest
> > screen.
> No I do not.  My point was current 2 levels alone to narrow down was way
> too small levels for 12585 binary packages.

I suggest that we do not focus on building a tree structure, but on
improving navigability of the package collection, using all available
means.

This means we could use some funny hierarchy or dag together with a
keyword filter and other different tools, with the goal to build a very
good navigator widget.  12585+ packages are an interesting problem which
poses non trivial usability problems and calls for some research on
information visualization techniques.

Talking about navigability, I strongly suggest we could start from the
very well written "Effective view navigation" paper by prof. Furnas,
available for download from this page:
http://www.si.umich.edu/~furnas/Research.Past.html#EVN , which gives a
good insight on the problem and on the caracteristics that the structure
we present to the user should have.

Bye,

Enrico