Re: Categorization of packages (was Re: Aptitude, ARs)

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 11:54:41AM -0800, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> was heard to say:
> At the same time, current "Categorical Browser" can be fed with a data
> generated with keyword approach.  This latter was the thing I was
> considering since tagging package is time consuming and directly
> creating Daniel's current feed data is a bit too tedious and error
> prone.

  This would be a good place to point out that the category generator
isn't particularly tied to its current data source; anything that stores
a DAG should be usable (although obviously some input formats are going to
be easier to parse than others :) )

> I agree.
> I think it will be more like:
>  desktop/gnome/wordprocessor -> abiword
>  desktop/wordprocessor/gnome -> abiword
>  desktop/wordprocessor/tex   -> lyx
>
> I usually have patience to look at up to 25 (1 screen).
>
> 25*25*25 = 15625 branch ends.

  That's only true if it's balanced; remember that about half those
packages are editors ;-)  Also, some leaves might appear in multiple
places.

> > > Ehm, when I hit 'l' I get:

> > > Without a 'Help' Button. Doesn't look very intuitive for me.
> >
> >   I never claimed it was intuitive. :P
>
> Yah. :-) I can tell you that even with [HELP] button, it is not very
> intuitive for me.  But it will b useful :-)
>
> Can you change [?] in New categorical browser to display this
> information.  Also please add pointer to 'l' in menu.

  Which information?

  "l" isn't in the menu for technical reasons :(

  Daniel

|           "Next, consider a circle passing through infinity; that           |
|            is, a straight line.."                                           |