Re: Categorization of packages (was Re: Aptitude, ARs)

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 05:59:28PM +0100, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:29:50AM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   Oh -- I just figured out what you mean about hitting "q".  The browser
> > was set up to use "left" to go "back" and "right" to go forwards.
>
> Oh, I gave up on the hope that I'd be able to use aptitude like that a
> while ago...
>
> Couldn't this be done similarily in the main view?

  Well, the idea I had when I was designing the browser interface was
that it really would function on a forward/back basis -- you only see
one screen at once, and pressing "left" goes to the previous one.

> Or asked differently: Are you willing to accept proposals/patches that
> might improve the keystrokes?

  Hm.  It would take about 2 lines of code to change this.  On the other
hand, I'm still not very enthusiastic about adding lots of keybindings
by default.  It might be better to write a keybinding editor -- this is
already configurable, and I think I posted an apt.conf stanza to add
these keybindings to one of the bugreports on the subject.

  (I suppose I could be convinced to add the keybindings, though)

> > > Well, this needs manpower. Fortunately, it does not need l33t C++
> > > hacking skills, so we could probably get some volunteers quickly if we
> > > motivate them.
> >
> >   Yes.
>
> Is the current unstable version your latest try on this? Or do you have
> a more recent version of the function_pkgs file? Osamu?

  My memory is that I updated the function_pkgs file from a local copy
in 0.2.12 (the version compiled against g++-3.2 and apt-0.5.4.9,
available at http://people.debian.org/~dburrows)

  Daniel

|              "It is said that someone at a party once asked                 |
|               the famous philosopher Ly Tin Weedle, 'why                    |
|               are you here?', and the reply took three years."              |
|                -- Terry Pratchett                                           |
\------- (if (not (understand-this)) (go-to http://www.schemers.org)) --------/