Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:50:02AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > First I want to say that /run is very much OK to solve the problem at
> > hand; it's just a pity that we decide to add a top-level direcory with a
> > such a very limited purpose.
>
> How about: /boot/state or such? /boot/run if you want it to be analagous
> with /var. The idea being that /boot tends to be small, and local, and
> that there is a mnemonic that this is stuff that gets written early during
> boot. The downside perhaps being that some admins choose to mount /boot
> ro most of the time. Just an idea.

Very nice one - perhaps even better than /run; solves the early state
problem without magic tricks with masking directories and without new
top level directories.

Enforcing that /boot (or just /boot/run) must be RW shouldn't be hard.

On a system with /mem, /boot/state or /boot/run could be a symlink to
/mem/run (sorry, couldn't resist).

> > Naming according to purpose has brought us /etc and /usr. These names
> > have no relevance whatsoever today. At least with naming according to
> > properties you don't run that risk.
>
> Yes, instead we would have /drum, /core, /tape, and /disk. Whee.

;-)) I was thinking a little more abstract properties:

/fvm	- fast volatile memory; core, now what we happen to call RAM
/ram	- random access memory; drum or block-based tape, now winchester
/rom	- read only random access memory; now CD, DVD or other WORM
/seq	- sequential access, streamed tape

I wouldn't have minded that, honestly. The categories are still valid
today!

> see shy jo, who has a system with both /ram and /disk

:)

Cheers,

Emile.

--