Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:17:07AM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> True. The same goes for /mem though, and because it's a bit broader than
> /run, I still think it's named more appropriately.

"/mem" implies it's going to be in memory, just like "shm" implies
it's for shared memory. We don't have /nfs, or /disk. Not that "usr" or
"etc" are particularly descriptive, but at least they're not actively
misleading.

/mem is a great name for something the sysadmin sets up, and then points
things at; but it's a bad name for apps to use to get at their data.

"/early" perhaps? "/etc/early-var" ? (The latter being a configuration
option indicating where to put variable data that's needed early in the
boot process; in the form of a symlink)

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''