Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 10:35:06AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> I would love to have ifstate go kabloom (as in not exist at all), though :)

Indeed. It happens to me every now and than that I change the hardware
of a computer, boot debian, notice that eth0 is not there, load the
appropriate module, say 'ifup eth0' (or, alternatively,
'/etc/init.d/networking start'), only to get a 'interface eth0 already
configured' error. Which is bogous. The interface is not configured, it
has not even been there a few seconds ago.

I think this problem would go away if ifup would actually ask the kernel
if an interface is configured.

Jan