Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 12:43:41AM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * John Goerzen [Wed, Feb 26 2003, 12:34:18PM]:
> > > Are you doing something about it or not?
> > There is the Debian desktop subproject.  [...]
> That is the problem. Noone knows exactly about the status because it
> was a nice dream but it is dying. Reason? Manpower and more motivation
> of ALL MAINTAINERS to support the idea and help implementing it.

If a project requires all maintainers to be interested in it, let alone
support it, it's going to die. All you can ask is for people to fix
outright bugs in their own packages and to not break other people's
packages, and sometimes even that's too much.

Half the work in getting major projects done in Debian is figuring out a
way to do them that doesn't depend on a whole bunch of people who aren't
remotely interested in it doing stuff to help you.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''