Re: Menu location for CD-R software?

On Thursday 13 February 2003 08:27, Matt Bonner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (I don't subscribe to this list, so please keep my address cc'd when
> you reply.  I'll try to watch for answers on the list, but cc'ing me
> would be much more efficient...)
>
> (If I am writing to the wrong list entirely, please let me know the
> correct list.)
>
> Recently, I finally decided to try burning CD's in Debian.  So I
> installed 4 or 5 of the CD recording software packages to see which
> one I liked best.
>
> Then I went to go find them in the KDE menus.  Results presented in
> the format  <menu> : <application menu name>

Firstly, a clarification: KDE use their own menu-system, while Debian also
has a menu-system on its own. The 'Debian' menu-entries in the KDE menu are
the ugly result of trying to get those two merried with each other.

> Applications :  CDBakeOven, KreateCD
> Debian->Apps->System : cdrtoaster, X-cd-roast
> Debian->Apps->Tools : KreateCD, cdbakeoven
> Multimedia : nothing
> Utilities->Debian : KreateCD, cdbakeoven

So, for KDE, you have in truth
Applications/CDBakeOven
Applications/KreateCD

While in the Debian menus you have rather[1]
apps/system/cdrtoaster
apps/system/xcdroast
apps/tools/kreatecd
apps/tools/cdbakeoven

So far, KDE lacks entries for xcdroast and cdrtoaster, which are afaik both
non-KDE apps. Their lack is thus not a big surprise and one could even argue
if they should have these entries.

For the Debian menus, half of the apps went to 'system' and the other to
'tools'. Since I'd rather expect apps that directly relate to the system to
be found in that entry (configurators, package/user/process managers) I'd say
the others are better. However, without looking at a few guidelines about how
to sort one's packages which are probably written for the menu-system, I'd
not judge these prematurely.

> This seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me, and probably the sort
> of issue worth resolving as part of getting more serious about Linux
> on the desktop.  I don't see anything relevant in the menu sub-policy
> (yes, I actually looked for and found such a thing--good on you for
> having it), and I can easily understand making a distinction between
> "system" cd-burning software for backups and "multimedia" software
> for making audio or video CD's or DVD's.  But if that was the idea
> here, I don't understand.

I think that the word 'multimedia' will never be seen in the Debian
menu-system because this word severely sucks in the attempt to have a meaning:
- media is plural, why the 'multi' ?
- what does it even mean in the common language ?
- even more, burning audio-CDs is definitively not 'multi' (even though the
CDs are multiplied...) !

So, finally, how about filing patches [attached] for cdrtoaster's and
xcdroast's menu-entries ?

Ulrich Eckhardt

[1]: this can't be displayed rightly like this, because Debian's menu uses
some Deep Magic(tm) to make new groups when there are enough members for it
or dissolve them if they would be too emtpy. See the docs.
?package(cdrtoaster):needs=X11 command="/usr/bin/cdrtoaster" \
		section="Apps/Tools" title="Cdrtoaster"

?package(xcdroast):command="/usr/bin/xcdroast" \
		icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xcdricon.xpm" needs=X11 \
		section="Apps/Tools" title="X cd-roast"