Re: Some ideas about the Debian Runlevel System

In article <[🔎] 1043787811.8962.33.camel@lisa.formorer.de>,
Alexander Wirt  <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:
>Debian supports currently 7 Runlevel 0,1 and 6 are predefined.
>But 2 - 5 aren't really used. At default we link every Programm in every
>Level, I think this is a bit of counterproductive. If we would do a
>logical breakup in the runlevel there would be many advantages.
>Like more overview or a better administration.
>Many network services have to be restartet if modifications to the
>Interfaces are made (for example Bind) if we put the Network Services
>in one runlevel we just have to change the Runlevel, change out
>Interfaces and change the Runlevels again.

If every system would do as you propose. However, the way
update-rc.d works, you cannot really change the runlevels
a daemon is in after initial installation. And since Debian
has never done this, 100% of the systems upgraded with apt-get
will never ever follow this runlevel setup.

>I have to talked to some people in the last time and they alle agree
>with me that this would be a much better solution than the actual
>system.

But it will only ever work on systems installed from scratch.

>I also think that a change-over to this System wouldn't be very painful
>only the Display Managers and all Network Daemon including networking
>have to be changed.

How. Send everyone who runs debian an email 'fix the links in /etc/rc?.d' ?

Mike.
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should
on no account be allowed to do the job -- Douglas Adams.