Re: description writing guide

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 12:55:50PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think the package descriptions are a very important product of this
> project.  They're going to be one of the first things people see when
> they use Debian, and their quality directly reflects on the quality of
> Debian.  I've been putting in some random efforts here and there to
(...)

	Not only "users", software might use them too. We currently don't have
a good search interface in our package interface UIs (good search != search by
words). I tried to make (quite a long time ago and it's pretty much an experiment)
a search UI based on an artificial intelligence approach (that is, TFIDF document
organisation).
	This kind of software _needs_ to have good descriptions to be useful at all
otherwise natural language processing of descriptions does not give any benefit to
the user.

	So, in summary, I think your proposal is pretty good and could IMHO, be
included in our policy. That is to say,
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s2.3.3 probably needs to be
extended further to include these recommendations.

	Regards

	Javi

PS: The package, if you are curious, is called 'dpkg-iasearch' BTW.