On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Marc Haber wrote:
> In the real world, the users will feel pressured to drop Debian and
> install some commercial distribution that is less free than Debian is
> now.

Wha? If the users require packages that are non-free, they will still
be able to get them, they just will know[1] that these packages are
non-debian. If that puts more pressure on them to use a commercial
distribution[2] or non-linux distribution, then so be it. If the value
of a specific piece of software outwieghs the freedom to modify their
system, then they have every right to do so.

> Getting rid of non-free is a bad idea. If we go through with that, we
> will do great harm to Debian GNU/Linux.

Perhaps it's just me, but I cannot see how making the distinction
between free and non-free more clear by removing non-free from the
archives can possibly cause harm to Debian [Gnu/Linux|NetBSD|Gnu].

Don Armstrong

1: I wish. Users sometimes even seem to think that ximian packages are
supported by Debian, and then complain when their dependencies are
totally out of whack.

2: I assume this means RH, Mdk, etc.

--
I leave the show floor, but not before a pack of caffeinated Jolt gum
is thrust at me by a hyperactive girl screaming, "Chew more! Do more!"

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu