Re: .list and .md5sums don't match up for some packages

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, lantz moore wrote:
>
>> there are several packages that have files listed in their .md5sums that
>> are not listed in their .list.  this doesn't seem like correct behavior.
>> if it is a bug, then i will file reports on the following packages,
>> however, if it is ok for some reason, then i will simply slink away.
>>
>> the following packages (that are installed on my machine) exhibit this
>> behavior:
>>   fileutils              4.1-10
>>   shellutils             2.0.12-2
>>   textutils              2.1-1
>>   gnome-libs-data        1.4.1.7-2
>>
>> {file,shell,text}utils seem to have been replaced by coreutils, not sure
>> if that makes a difference in this case.
>
> For fileutils, shellutils and textutils, it is a side effect of the
> Replaces field coreutils have on them. The files fileutils and
> coreutils have in common are removed from fileutils.list by dpkg when
> dpkg unpacks coreutils, so that they are not removed from the system
> if you purge the old fileutils. This is not done for md5sums because
> they are not official.

ok, that makes sense (except for 'ad hoc' handling of md5sums).  thanks
for the info.

essentially, this situation elicited some false positive warnings from
tiger.  i suppose maybe the md5sum handling in tiger needs a bit of
beefing up.

> I think this discrepancy should go awat if you upgrade to
> fileutils_4.5.1-2, etc.

check.

thanks again for the info.

-l