Re: .list and .md5sums don't match up for some packages

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, lantz moore wrote:

> there are several packages that have files listed in their .md5sums that
> are not listed in their .list.  this doesn't seem like correct behavior.
> if it is a bug, then i will file reports on the following packages,
> however, if it is ok for some reason, then i will simply slink away.
>
> the following packages (that are installed on my machine) exhibit this
> behavior:
>   fileutils              4.1-10
>   shellutils             2.0.12-2
>   textutils              2.1-1
>   gnome-libs-data        1.4.1.7-2
>
> {file,shell,text}utils seem to have been replaced by coreutils, not sure
> if that makes a difference in this case.

For fileutils, shellutils and textutils, it is a side effect of the
Replaces field coreutils have on them. The files fileutils and
coreutils have in common are removed from fileutils.list by dpkg when
dpkg unpacks coreutils, so that they are not removed from the system
if you purge the old fileutils. This is not done for md5sums because
they are not official.

I think this discrepancy should go awat if you upgrade to
fileutils_4.5.1-2, etc.

I don't know about gnome-libs-data.