Re: hdparm

I demand that Martijn van Oosterhout may or may not have written...

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 10:47:22AM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 04:11:17PM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
>>> I demand that Simon Hrlimann may or may not have top-posted...
>>> ... but having it default to being a speed enhancer is a *bad* idea
>>> unless tests can be run during startup to determine whether things such
>>> as 32bit I/O will work.
>> If you read bug report, that was concern and that was the reason why I
>> proposed silly placeholder file.  What ever way we impliment, default
>> shall be "off" unless someone write very smart auto detector.

> I seem to remember that any options set this way are not sticky and will be
> reset if the kernel ever has to reset the controller. So the real question
> is, how many systems:

> - Can't handle setting the 32-bit flag or some other flag

If messages like "hda: lost interrupt" are anything to go by, then my
Deskpro XL 6150's on-board IDE interface can't handle it.

> - *and* the kernel can't recover by resetting the controller

Presumably it would have tried a controller reset after a while, but when I
tried this (new HD), I didn't wait to find out :-)

--
| Darren Salt       | linux (or ds) at | nr. Ashington,
| Linux PC, Risc PC | youmustbejoking  | Northumberland
| No Wodniws here   | demon co uk      | Toon Army
|   I don't ask for much, just untold riches...

Please recycle this tagline. Once is not enough.