Re: hdparm

I demand that Simon Hürlimann may or may not have top-posted...

> I fully agree to a init.d/hdparm /etc/hdparm.conf solution. i just hacked a
> /init.d/hdparm script today, before reading this mail. means:
> 	there is a need for this.

> some questions arose:
> - will it be dynamic (means using /proc/ide or the like) or static (only
> configure devices in /etc/hdparm.conf)?

I don't know about this (though I suspect that it'll be static)...

> - what are the default params? very safe, so just installing hdparm won't
> bring any enhancement, or should hdparm act as a speed enhancer, meaning
> setting dma, io_32bit...?

... but having it default to being a speed enhancer is a *bad* idea unless
tests can be run during startup to determine whether things such as 32bit I/O
will work.

--
| Darren Salt       | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| Linux PC, Risc PC | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| No Wodniws here   | Toon Army      | demon co uk
|   Running woody on the other machine.

Fatal internal error in Breakfast: cereal port not responding