Re: enabling/disabling daemons

Noah> Basically, I just want a sane and standard way of doing what
Noah> sshd and postgresql (and undoubtedly others) already do.  I
Noah> don't want to replace how we manage runlevels.

The problem of upgrading disabled daemons has been addressed by
invoke-rc.d, or am I wrong?

As for the mechanism _how_ particular daemons can be disabled, most
packages (fortunately) do it more cleanly than those two.  For
example:

kronstadt:~$ fgrep SERVICE /etc/default/fetchmail
# set to true. STOP THE SERVICE BEFORE DISABLING IT!
SERVICE=true
kronstadt:~$

If you want to recommend "one true way" (and later get it into policy)
please start from there...

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087