Re: enabling/disabling daemons

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 12:05:22AM +0200, Simon H?rlimann wrote:
> - how do you control the different runlevels? are there different
> /etc/rc?.conf... files? are there different variables like
> sendmail_enable_1=NO sendmail_enable_0=YES? a list of runlevels per variable
> like sendmail_enable= "1 5 9" ?

Well, in the BSD system there is no concept of runlevels.  You're either
single-user mode or multi-user mode.

In our case, I still think runlevels should be managed as usual, via the
rc directories.  The rc.conf thing, I think, would be more like a global
override, so that no matter what rc?.d looks like, the daemon will not
be started if $daemon_enable=NO is found in /etc/rc.conf.

Basically, I just want a sane and standard way of doing what sshd and
postgresql (and undoubtedly others) already do.  I don't want to replace
how we manage runlevels.

> so we need one user-editable file per runlevel and need to source the right
> one, which in turn sources the default? i don't rely like that.

No, I wouldn't like that either, and I don't think it'd solve the
problem.

noah