Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 02:17:59PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Sigh. And now I get to repeat what I said in a private mail to Marco
> when I didn't realise he'd Cc'ed me to a message on a mailing list. Is
> a little "AJ: Cc'ed to make sure you get this" really too much to ask?
>
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 11:32:08PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > I discussed with the xinetd and rlinetd maintainers about how to kill
> > the netbase package and allow users to really choose their favourite
> > inet superserver. Please comment.
>
> The plan hasn't changed: "netbase" needs to be removed so we can avoid
> requiring inetd on all systems, update-inetd needs to be rewritten and
> it's syntax changed to solve a whole bunch of old outstanding bugs,
> and packages using inetd need to be changed to use the new update-inetd
> syntax and depend on "net-common" or similar. These things are all best
> done at the same time.

Just for the sake of getting it out there: during an IRC discussion I
hammered out a prototype replacement for the current update-inetd
system in a few dozen lines of perl. It's sitting in
http://people.debian.org/~asuffield/inetd/ for those who want to take
a look at it; it's kinda like update-modules (the current update-inetd
is more like update-alternatives).

It's one of two or three possible approaches that have come up so far;
it's probably the simplest by a large margin, I don't know whether it
has any significant issues or not. Marco said he'd run up a similar
prototype of one of the others at some point...

[This is a *prototype*, it is not suitable for deployment in its
current form. I estimate it would take an afternoon or so to rewrite
it properly and in a manner that makes it simple for maintainers of
inetd packages to deal with it. I'm not particularly committed to
Config::General, but I don't see any reason not to use it, either.]

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK