Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:36:49 +0200,
> Denis Barbier wrote:
>
> > Well it is even more confusing than you think ;)
> > Jason Gunthorpe told that Description-*  fields for package descriptions
> > will be UTF-8 encoded, but it is in no way related to Description-* fields
> > in /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates; we currently do not know where these
> > fields will be put, but certainly not in .templates files.
>
> I see.  This method also works.
>
> However, if we completely abondon /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates files
> (of course new Debconf must support them for compatibility, otherwise
> old packages won't be able to be handled), we can think about more
> drastic modification of design.  For example, usage of gettext will
> free us from encoding conversion, because gettext does it automatically.

Um, Denis was referring to PACKAGE descriptions, not debconf
descriptions. Of course package descriptions will not be in .templates
files.

> In this case, since .mo files are binary, we don't need to care about
> evil text files with mixture of encodings

Figure out how to make gettext use a .mo file somewhere in /tmp and I
might listen to this.

> (which seems to be a reason
> why Jason insists such migration from /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates
> to other files).

Hm.

I think I stop reading this thread here. As I predicted, a lot of people
chimed in, and it was reasonably useless.

--
see shy jo